Friday, October 17, 2008

5 intros.

A post is far better than a deer....or at least that's what I told my parents. 
Slamming my infiniti Q45 straight into a pole unprompted didn't quite seem like a good enough excuse; therefore, one had to be invented. Hence, the story of the deer. For those who don't know, the deer came flying out of the hills and jumped into the middle of the street right as I was pulling out of Katie's house (driving below the speed limit of course because it was foggy). Then I swerved, so as not to hit the deer, and I hit a pole instead. "I'm just so glad I didn't hit that poor animal and that I'm ok."  


50 cent and the pervoscope....the only two ingredients to a successful spring break.
"I've been patiently waiting for a track to explode on..." still makes me think of that beautiful week sitting on the beach with my eight best friends. Not surprisingly 8 17 year old boys adds up to a rather explosive mix of testosterone and sadly the recipient was a telescope (better than a 17 year old girl at least). The pervoscope became everyone's favorite tool, a long range lens that could spot an attractive girl 100s of yards down the beach. It's success in spotting them was only equaled by our failure in wooing them. It was a brilliant utility; instilling hope that would only be crushed. 

Roses leading to her front door, and frozen M&Ms in the pool, the only ingredients to a successful homecoming request. 
Elaborate homecoming requests were my specialty in high school and I thought I had this one down. I had rose petals leading up to her front door, with candles to light her path, and then a long scavenger hunt with all of our favorite places along the way, ending with her back in her room, me standing there with a dozen roses, and her jumping into my arms as she screamed "yes!" Needless to say the plan was not as flawless as I had anticipated....

Mint Chocolate Brownie ice cream on my bed, and love in my heart. 
I had just sprained my ankle in one of the most important games of the year. I had some college coaches there to see me, and 3 minutes in the worst player on the other team swiped at my leg as I was running past him. I could barely walk off the field. As I was sitting at home in the bath, I heard a faint click of the front door closing. Why were my parents coming in the house so quietly? And then I heard a quiet whisper of "Hey Sue, I just came to drop this off for him, don't tell him I was here k? I want it to be a surprise." I could practically hear my mother smiling from a room away. As I walked into my bedroom, I saw a quart of Coldstone Mint Chocolate Brownie sitting on my bed, with a simple note that said, "Love you. Since I couldn't be there to kiss it, hope this makes it feel better." 

18 roses on her balcony seemed like a good idea at the time....
With visions of star-crossed lovers dancing in my head, I scaled the side of her house to plant the flowers I had purchased. It was her 18th birthday and this was step 1 in my elaborate plan to make this girl love me forever. I had hand written, with excellent penmanship, a beautiful letter to her, and it was sitting in the middle of the flowers. Now, I knew I could scale the wall, but I never really thought about being able to do that while concurrently carrying flowers. 
Further things I did not anticipate:
1.) The card falling out as i climbed
2.) 1 rose falling on my second attempt to climb
3.) Her stupid cat setting off my allergies so I sneezed about every ten seconds. 
4.) Her Dad yelling, "Who are you, and get the hell off my wall." 
5.) Introducing myself to her father and then explaining why I thought this was a good idea....
with erika sitting right across the table from me. 

Some things just aren't as romantic as you envision them. 

No comments: